Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Let's talk Layton

I just got a free magazine in the mail called 'Glow'. I'm not sure why I got it but it looks like its distributed by Shopper's Drug Mart. But Lord knows I've bought a ton of funky colored nail polishes to put me on the mailing list! (Its my latest addicition. I actually just bought another one tonight!). Anyway, back to my point. I flipped through the magazine and found an article written by a 29 year old breast cancer survivor and learned about a new website for the young cancer crowd. Which then led me to her personal blog (gotta love the name of it...'bumpy boobs'). One of her posts was about Jack Layton, the Canadian politician who was recently diagnosed with cancer twice and who we sadly just lost to cancer. What I liked about her blog post was that she addressed the fear that I'm sure every cancer survivor feels when they hear about someone who just died of cancer. Especially when its all over the news each and every day. When I heard the news my stomach felt sick with sadness for Jack and his family...but I also felt a deep, hard hitting fear in my belly. He was so positive, he was so brave, he was so determined, he fought hard. I didn't even think to acknowledge my fear. I just felt it and then stuffed it down. That scary reminder that I had cancer and this could have been me. I knew I was a little obsessed about watching the news, hearing his story, posting my tributes on Facebook. All authentic. Definately. But masked behind it was the fear too. So, thank you bumpy boob blogger for helping me acknowledge my fear and for letting me know that someone else felt it too. Its OK to feel the fear and its honest. But even more than this, I was so, so, SO grateful to learn that Jack Layton worte a 'letter to Canadians'. This blogger shared some of his words which I MUST share with you. During his last months or days, Jack Layton had the kindness, strength, thoughtfulness, and absolute selflessness to continue to pass on hope to anyone with (or without) cancer. I know he wasn't top of the politician list for many Canadians when it came to voting, but this guy has become one of my heroes. Here's the part of the letter I read today. As bumpy boob bloggers says, "its touching, and its for us"...



"To other Canadians who are on journeys to defeat cancer and live their lives, I say this: please don't be discouraged that my own journey hasn't gone as well as I'd hoped. You must not lose your own hope. Treatments and therapies have never been better in the face of this disease. You have every reason to be optimisitic, determined, and focused on the future. My only other advice is to cherish every moment with those you love at every stage of your journey, as I have done this summer."



I'm still feeling such amazement about how incredibly thoughtful Jack was to continue to inspire hope when his had likely run out. Right to the end. I think all Canadians saw the real Jack for the first time this year and actually heard what he was all about. Including me. I had no idea. Here's to you Jack. Here's to you. Your light shines on.

No comments:

Post a Comment