Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Blue boxes and my morning shake

Well, the recycling boxes have been on the 'curb' since 8:00 a.m. as instructed. They look lonely out there waiting for pick-up but it's a relief to know it won't be me dragging my piles of stored up recycling over weeks to the city depots anymore. I actually liked my trips to the depot though, and I always felt good about myself after I had sorted it all into the respectful bins...cardboard, glass, paper. But, the city depots don't recycle near as many things and me not driving to the depots cuts down on my carbon footprint, so this is the better choice for many reasons.
TRACEY'S RAW GREEN SHAKE RECIPE:This is my morning ritual (the photo isn't of a green shake...can't stomach the greens immediately post chemo, but it looks pretty similar)...not so scary right? SO good! And good for you. Trust me.

In a blender, add:

-handful of organic frozen rasperries (fresh is too expensive right now but do it when you can)
-handful of organic frozen strawberries (about 6)
-handful of organic frozen blueberries OR blackberries
-handful of organic kale OR spinach OR romaine lettuce
-3/4 C organic pineapple juice, peach juice, whatever juice you like really...my fav is pineapple
-1/2 C filtered water

Blend and enjoy! You can save any leftover shake in the fridge but it's best to drink it right away to get the most nutrients. Usually makes enough for 2 people. These are low glycemic index fruits as well so they won't whack out your blood sugar levels first thing in the a.m.

And if you use kale, it's delicious but blend it longer, it's a hardy plant and needs a bit more time to break down in the blender so you're not eating chunks of it in your shake...I learned that the hard way,

No comments:

Post a Comment