Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Santa Fe prison riot of 1980

Ok, kinda weird timing. I was on 'youtube' tonight and started searching for my favorite New Mexico band (Cuarenta y Cinco). This led me to search about my favorite church in Chimayo, and then about the 1980 prison riot in Santa Fe. It happened on February 2nd and 3rd...today is February 4th. Hmmm. Did my subconscious tune in? Having worked in a prison facility in Albuquerque, I was very familiar with the stories about this riot and actually, without disclosing too much info, worked with a young family member of one of the key rioters...yikes. I developed an interest and fascination with this event. I actually toured this exact prsion years later, on Friday the 13th of all nights! It was a 'ghost tour'...the prison is now empty and often used for movies...one of the guards who gave the tour was actually there during the riot. I would have liked to talk to him more but at the same time, I didn't want to make him re-live those memories. What he saw must be burned in his mind forever. Anyway, if you're up for some sad and horrifying New Mexcio history...check out this website:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico_State_Penitentiary_Riot

No comments:

Post a Comment