Sunday, March 22, 2009

Catching up

Its been a while since I've blogged. I've been pretty tired these past few weeks and haven't been in writing mode. But my energy is slowly picking up! Time to catch up on the days past.

I finally finished ONE of my moccasins after two 4-5 hour classes and weeeeeeks of beading in between! I have a whole new appreciation for anything beaded or handmade using hide and sinew. My fingers were bleeding today. Seriously, I have blood on my moccasins as proof. Thankfully, I wasn't the only one. Battle scars! I'm pretty impressed with myself to be perfectly honest! It feels good to put so much heart, effort, time, and soul into making something. I have one more moccasin to finish, they take so much time. You'd never know it by looking at the finished product, but trust me on that, they take tiiiiime. I love that I learned a new craft but I'm not sure if I'll remember all the details over time. I hope I do.

Chatted with the Metis/Cree instructor and have been invited to a 'Cultural Camp' somewhere north and not sure when...lots of Cree Elders will be there and I suspect a lot of teaching about our culture...both Cree and Metis. Sister Gigi will need to come with me for that. The instructor, Brenda, also works with Native medicines. This was passed down to her through her grandmother. She's offered to work with me and asked if I wanted to be one of her case studies. That's a definate yes. I'm excited to get to know her better and take in some traditional Native healing. I am really excited that all of this came about. She said it would also be good for me to do a sweat, which is in the plans this summer...at Red Willow with my sista 'Red Wolf Woman'.

Not much else to report really...its been all about the moccasins these past few weeks. I start radiation tomorrow. I went for a mick tril last week and is it ever quick and painless! Nothing compared to chemo! Three cheers to that! It'll be a pain going EVERY day for the next 5 weeks but its worth it. Looks like I'm going back to work around April 6th as well...my oncologist was trying to talk me out of it but I'm eager to make some decent money again and to get back in the real world.

Time for bed and to rest my weary fingers!

1 comment:

  1. You could take a pic of each step of the moccasin making, that way if you make another pair in the future, it'll help you remember. It's amazing what we forget! I can't believe at one time I used to knit sweaters and socks but now I have to ask my daughter to show me how to cast on and off. Your moccasins look really good already!

    ReplyDelete