Saturday, March 7, 2009

Making moccasins

I can't wait to finish them! Signed up for this workshop and so glad I did. Little things like this make me feel like I'm connecting to my history but at the same time it also feels so far away. I have a lot of beading to do before the second half of the workshop and I hope I remember how to do it outside of class. The instructor is also Metis and has close ties to her Cree and Iroqouis heritage...she lives the Native way and learned from her Native ancestors since she was young. I liked learning from someone who is traditional and passionate about passing on this info so its not lost, like making moccasins. She told me that the Metis were known as the "Flower Bead Makers"...we learned the traditional Native way of beading and the flowers came from the Gray Nuns. Apparently, they used to crochet flowers and our people began to incorporate them into their beadwork. I love beads and beadwork, and hides, especially the smell of smoke from being tanned...I am so glad to finally be learning this. Classes like this are rare in the area. I feel like I lucked out. I can't wait to teach others or make mocassins for them.

1 comment:

  1. Our great grandmother on Peter's side was Cree. Almost full blood from what the relatives say. The "Veve's". Neat stuff.

    ReplyDelete