Friday, March 6, 2009

Channeling Kokopelli and the Merman

I finally made it to Banff today. It was a beautiful day and warm! The roads were good, I was relieved. I grabbed my usual decaf soy latte with a shot of vanilla from Beamers and hit the road. A short but pretty drive. First stop was the Banff Indian Trading Post across the river. I always love this place even if it is half authentic Native goods and half souvenirs. Everyone comes to see the "merman" at the back of the store, I laugh everytime I see it, especially because of the tufts of white hair all over its head. Two young boys came to see it...I heard them come rushing to the back of the store. It was hilarious watching them and listening..."Is it alive"? Too funny. I think this is where my parents bought us our moccasins when we were young...mine were white with beads and lined with white rabbit fur...I wore those endlessly. I always remember those. (I can't wait for part one of my mocassin making class tomorrow).

I liked reading about the history of this Trading Post...the animals and animal heads have been there since the 1900s. There used to be Banff Indian Days when the Stoneys would come and dance, race, do archery and have a parade. Those days are gone. Too bad, wouldn't that be incredible to see now? And then.

Anyway. I unexpectedly found a gift for my nephew Henry, and a gift from the past for my brother...I'll tell you what that is once he has it in case he reads the blog. I think he'll laugh when he sees it and appreciate it at the same time. I soaked it all in and then went to main street. My three goals were to buy a drum, look at the Native flutes and get a Lululemon hoodie (I don't have one if you can believe that). I also saw a TV ad about a second hand store in one of the malls that I wanted to find.

I didn't find the second hand store but I did buy a black Lulu hoodie. Then I made my way to Sleeping Buffalo, another Native store. Well, right away I saw the flutes and asked about them The young guy/store clerk was so keen and helpful from the get go. He knew all about these flutes and has one himself. We laughed that we both used to play the clarinet...what are the odds that a guy played the clarinet? We bonded. I was glad to have someone so easy to talk with about the flutes. I wasn't intimidated. I asked him to play them for me...since he knew how and my lips are chapped and embarassingly cracked and raw. Of course this is the time I decide to check out flutes, key focus being the mouth! Aaaagh! I get myself into these situations all the time. The store provides straws to stick in the flute so you can play them...but I was too embarassed and self conscious. Plus, I have no idea how to play and it was good to hear the sound being played on its own, by someone else. I could focus on the sound and how it made me feel.

The sound was incredible. Relaxing. Again, like hearing the drum, I melted. I much preferred the sound from the cedar flute versus the walnut. It was deeper, calmer and went right to my core. And later, wouldn't you know that I found out that cedar is one of the original woods used by the Native Americans? Hmmm. Interesting. So much for the drum. I was sold on the flute and it felt right to be buying this. I did look at the drums, this is what I came for, but I soon realized that the drum is still too 'big' for me, I am not ready. I'm more comfortable hearing it played by others. And I knew I would play the flute right away and often.

My flute is quite plain and I love it. I'm hoping a name for it comes to me. Right now I just call it 'Cedar'. It came with a book and CD...very homemade looking book and CD which I love. When I got home, I read the intro to the book and the man who wrote it said,

"My experience is that it is a very magical instrument, in that it seems to appear when one needs it most."

Well, that's how it worked out for me today. He's right.

I finally played it, just notes, randomly. I love it. LOOOVE it. It sounds pretty just playing it without any idea of what I'm doing. And although I'll try and learn 'proper' notes and songs, the auther of this book and flute maker reminds us that the Indians did not have written music. Just music passed down from Elders and ancestors, or from sounds in nature.

That's the story of my flute!

No comments:

Post a Comment