Friday, October 1, 2010

"Walktober"

Fall is here and I have been feeling like a big lump. Tired. Unmotivated. My newest remedy? "Walktober" (a.k.a. October). I feel like an inventor, only with exercise. I keep coming up with new ideas but not many of them 'stick'. But bare with me on this one, as I have hope for it.

Its beautiful outside, the leaves are changing into phenominal, bright colors...I love the light breezes, the beauty, the smell of the air, and the FEEL of the air in fall. I get a distinct feeling inside of me during this time of year. A yearning for warmth, affection, all that is good and comforting. Just mmmm mmmm good.

And I like walking. So rather than try and run, cycle, do PX90...why not start at the place I'm at? Walking. Hence, the birth of 'Walk-tober'.

The goal is to walk everywhere I can instead of drive. This includes work which would mean about 1.5 - 2 hours one way. I kind of like that though! I'll feel invogorated by the time I get to work and decompress on the walk home. It sounds good right? I can do this. I'm excited about gearing up in the morning and getting out there. And I'm hoping its the kickstart to further exercise once my body is warmed up from all the walking.

Part of the reason that got me thinking of this was P's mom. She always talks about how no one was ever "fat" (hate that word) back in the day because...you guessed it...they WALKED everywhere. She grew up in Rossland, BC...hill country. She and her siblings walked to work and back (including up and down a huge hill every day) and everywhere in between.

It may mean I get home later at the end of the day but what better way to spend time?

My other addition to today's note is...I am in LOVE with the ghoulash and spetzel (sp?) at the Edelweiss restaurant in the neighborhood. Ate there last night and even savored the button mushrooms in the ghoulash and I'm not a fan of the mushroom. A 'must try' if you're in the area.

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea and great way to wind down after work!

    ReplyDelete