Friday, March 4, 2011

A Lesson in Aging

That's NOT me in the photo you see but it helps make my point. I am turning 40 this year and consider myself to be very young at heart as well as still looking young.

I went to a new hair stylist last week (thanks to a great deal on 'living social'), Alyssa, who I'd guess is about 23 years old. Sweet girl, chatty, and well beyond her years.

The haircut was alright but the way it was styled was something else. Poofy, round, not a hair out of place, curled...sooo not me. I just figured Alyssa didn't know me well enough yet.

I went back today to have my roots colored and add in a few more highlights. Again, nice but the way Alyssa styled my hair was brutal for the second time. Poofy, round, not a hair out of place, no curls but roll-brush round...sound familiar to my first visit? Then I realized...I look like my mom!!!!

And why wouldn't I? I swear that this is how my 20-something year old hair stylist must see me! OMG. Or even worse, am I really looking old enough to resemble and older woman?

The lesson? For God's sake, if you want to maintain your sense of youth and self-esteem during your late 30s...DO NOT have your hair styled by someone 20 years younger than you are. Trust me on this one ladies.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going back to my beloved and trusty Tam from Vietnam...who is 40ish and calls himself the "pink sheep" of the family. HE gets it.

    ReplyDelete