Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I'm not a wino...

I'm a champagne-o! I love champagne. I don't like like it, I LOVE it. And up until this year, I've allowed myself to drink champagne ONLY on special occasions. Which means twice a year or maaaaybe a few more. On Christmas and at birthdays or weddings. That's the rule. Where did I learn THAT?! I'm not a big drinker but if truth be told, I did start drinking the stuff in my toddler years (remember Baby Duck?). Apparently I was born with a taste for the "bubbly". And I deny myself by rationing out a few measly glasses a year. What the funk? I welcomed in my 40th year with a bottle of what is to me, liquid crack and suddenly a light bulb went on, "I think I can drink this...whenever I WANT to"! And I have been! My first post birthday drink was when I ordered a glass of champagne in a local hotel bar. I noticed that my friend had already ordered a glass for hersef when I arrived. Are my eyes deceiving me? Validation! This meant I could do it too! I totally felt like I was breaking a cardinal rule or worse, the law! It was barely midday in the middle of summer for crying out loud and it wasn't Christmas...I wasn't celebrating a birthday or at a wedding. What will people think?! I imagined the looks and stares I was about to get. I'm such a rebel! But the server didn't even flinch. No disapproving glances or heckles from the bar crowd. Cha-ching! Nobody cares! I'm out of the closet! (insert happy dance here). Let me share another little piece of golden wisdom for you fellow, closet champagne drinkers. One word. 'Prosecco' (a.k.a. champagne deemed 'sparkling wine' only because it lacks the being-grown-in-the-champagne-region factor). Point is, in the early days (which was really just a few weeks ago) it made me feel better ordering it because it didn't sound so fancy schmancy and celebratory. A good starter decoy if you're laying low and still too timid to go balls out and order "champagne". Plus, it tastes delicious. I got over the self consciousness of ordering actual champagne pretty fast though and I risk my reputation regularly. I order either one fearlessly now. That's right people, FEARLESSLY. I'm loud and I'm proud! I drink champagne on any given occasion! We exist! Best revelation of the year so far. Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. I love learning all these things about you. First Emergency, now this. Whats next, sista?!

    I might have to go out and buy a bottle of champagne to see what all the fuss is about....

    ReplyDelete