Thursday, September 15, 2011

Looking good...

I had my annual mammogram and boob ultrasound yesterday. Always makes my nerves feel like live wires and my stomach like a whirlpool of nausea. I got a very nice tech for both procedures and highly recommend CML Healthcare. The northeast location is somewhat updated but a little rough around the edges (there is a south location which might be even more updated). But service is top notch. Wasn't sure how the mammogram went as the tech did some 'extra' procedures and kept pointing out how "dense" my breasts are because of the fact that the machine hums a little longer than normal with every image it takes. When she led me back to the change area to sit and wait, she reached out and squeezed my shoulder and gave me a very sincere send off. To the average person, this is really sweet and thoughtful. To a cancer survivor, this is "OMG, she saw something"! 30 minutes later with too much time to think (but I felt calm and at peace), I was led to the ultrasound room. Seemed to be pretty typical, lots of stopping with the wand and a million clicks on the computer, entering measurements. Its kind of reassuring when they stop in the same areas as before, you begin to know where your bumpy bits are after doing this every year. I would have been scared if she had stopped at any new areas though. Even worse, is when the tech calls in the radiologist. Red flag! But not this time. He was called in but looked very unconcerned and told me I just had cysts. The tech told me he was VERY experienced (the grey hair gave it away) and nice. A rare combo for a rad, trust me! I've worked with a ton of them. Anyway. The tech was also open enough to say she didn't see anything in a new area that my Dr. and I were both concerned about. I thank the tech for that big time! She was just being uber cautious because of my history and wasn't afraid to give me info. AND, she told me that the rad would have talked to me more if he was concerned. Yay for me! Another year cancer free!

1 comment: