Sunday, January 15, 2012

Road Trip Recap: Day 6 & 7

Our entire trip on a t-shirt


Happy for some more Starbucks


The car is packed for one last day

Mary mapping out the route at a pit stop

Me at the Amtrak station in Raleigh, NC

Train #80 to Washington, DC

These were the last days of the road trip together. Bittersweet. At the start of the trip we intended to get Mary to Jacksonville before having to drive me back to Raleigh. But we just didn't have the time. Its too bad because I was really looking forward to seeing her apartment and the town she'll be living in for the next 12 weeks. I can't really remember much of the drive from Nashville to Raleigh except a lot of laughing and joking. We stopped in Ashville, NC for dinner which was a really nice town. The quaint buildings all decorated in lights and the fanciest McDonald's I've ever seen! It had a grand piano inside. We stopped to use the free Wi-Fi and restrooms which were disgusting! I had high expectations considering how it looked on the outside. We made it to Raleigh late in the evening and settled in to the hotel. I mapped out our route to the Amtrak station for the next morning which was only 7 minutes away! In the morning, Mary had to re-map it on google (I used mapquest)...which was ALWAYS wrong and got us lost several times, but she is a stubborn one that girl. She used her google directions the next morning and we realized, once again, we were heading the wrong way and out of town instead of downtown. Thankfully, the mapquest directions were correct and we made it to the station with 5 minutes to spare in order for me to check on my bag. This was crucial because I was only 10 days out of surgery and not allowed to carry more than 5 lbs...plus I hurt. I was secretly hoping to miss the train so we'd have more day but at the same time I was so excited to see my brother and his family. The train seemed to come way too soon and we didn't even have much time to say goodbye before I was boarding. Tears!!!! I was still walking toward my seat as the train started pulling away. The poor guy beside me was trying to have a conversation as I was crying and trying to respond. I don't know why he didn't pick up on it and stop asking me questions. I watched Mary walk to her car and then she was out of sight. I am so excited for her journey ahead but so sad my friend won't be there when I get home. I slept most of the way to DC which was nice. The seats on the train are so roomy! I watched the sights out of the window as we crossed Virginia...small towns...I think we kept passing by the less afluent parts of town. I eavesdropped on a kid and his mom in front of me (dad was getting out of jail and going to be living with them again and mom was breaking the news). I got the nerve to check out the snack car which was not great. I grabbed a pop and chips just to give me a jolt. Got to Union Station and found my big brother and niece and nephew waiting for me! So good to see them. I'll blog about my visit with all of them later. It was the greatest road trip and time I've had in a long time. It reminded me of just how much bonding, fun, new and unforgettable experiences that only a road trip brings. I am so grateful we did this together and I miss my friend. Her assignment in NC ends in April so we're already planning for the next road trip together. I plan to fly out and travel with her to the next assignment if I can get the time off. It should be Easter break by then. Thinking of the next trip makes me feel better. And we already can't wait to make the next tshirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment