Friday, December 16, 2011

DI Techs ROCK!

I work with them almost daily (or did when I worked at RGH) and they are an SLP's second family in terms of work departments. These peeps are pretty special. Kind, compassionate, fun. I had to have an enhanced CT scan of my head done today and not at RGH where I work. It was actually scheduled for Tuesday but I chickened out because of my crazy fear of non-ionic contrast. The tech that day was so incredibly supportive that she actually gave me the direct number to the techs so I could go have a coffee, think about it, and call her with my decision. She left my spot open for me all day. I called and we rescheduled...I spent about 2 hours at the Garden Cafe at FMC trying to talk myself off the ledge but couldn't. Today I went in for the second attempt and I felt like a total diva! Thanks to chemo it took 2 techs and then an ER nurse to get my IV in. That was after being wrapped in warm blankets to try and warm me up and make those veins pop. After my IV was in, I headed into the CT room followed by my entourage of techs and nursing cheering me all the way. The tech who gave me the contrast and did the scan didn't take his hand off of my shoulder the whole time the contrast was going in. I swear I could have asked him to marry me and meant it! He also very slyly gave me a few cc's of the contrast but told me it was saline "to test the IV line and make sure it was patent". After 5 minutes he told me what he had done and that I was officially not allergic. Nice move! I got the rest of the contrast and scan done no problem! The techs watched me for about 15 minutes post just to make sure I was okay. Then they sent me off with kind and heartfelt wishes for good results and a job well done. AMAZING. Thank you Deena, Krista, pink shirt tech lady with black hair, Susan the ER nurse and ever so calming and supportive Gavin. You have no idea how much of a difference you made in my life today. Thank you thank you thank you for understanding a crazy patient like me!

1 comment:

  1. Great to know you are not allergic and that you overcame your fear. Proud of ya, sista!

    ReplyDelete